Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Gift Twice Received

When I was in 1st grade, my principal gave each student a book. Over the years I have searched my childhood home numerous times, drilling my mother as to where my little book could have been stored. Of course at the time I received the book I did not understand it's value. It was a simple book written for young children just beginning to learn about the world. The book has no real monetary value, however, as I spend more of my career at the elementary level, I realize the true value of that little book I received. I just can't find it.

I can remember what it looks like, the colors and that it had a hardback cover. I recall the principal sitting in the middle of the main hallway of the elementary school surrounded by boxes. As I stood in line with my classmates, we eagerly waited for our personal copy of this special book.

That is where my memory of the book ends. I have no recollection of the story within the pages of the book. I don't know how many times I read the book, but I do remember that I, along with my classmates, received a special gift that day. The gift was reading.

The story of this special book does not end with memories alone anymore. This past week I received a gift in the mail - a copy of that special book from 1st grade. Seems that when my elementary principal came to visit me a couple of years ago he was listening when I told him that I could not find the gift he gave us so many years before. The specialness of the book increased when I opened the package, I recieved in the mail, and found that my elementary principal had contacted his secretary from all those years ago and it was she that had a copy and sent it to me.

This gift has touched my heart knowing that someone thought highly enough of me to give me a book, and then, 30+ years later, give me the same gift again. I now have the book I have been searching for, but somehow, it is more special than ever! This time, I will store it in a very special place - my office at Smithville Elementary School.

2 comments:

  1. A very special gift from a very special person to a very special person. It touches the heart to know who has left footprints in your life then to realize that you left footprints in their life as well........

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a touching story about the power of books! It just goes to show that the right book, shared by the right person, at the right time can make such an impact on young reader's life!

    Also, I'm dying of suspense! What was the name of the book? I'm sure the Smithville Elementary Library could use a copy!

    ReplyDelete